Atkinson’s Yellow Mill in 1838

Atkinson's Yellow Mill in 1838

The Yellow Mill, built by William Atkinson in 1817, survived into the 1830s when it was owned by Meech, Rice & Co. In 1838 Henry O’Reilly included an engraving of it in his book “Settlement in the West: Sketches of Rochester; with Incidental Notices of Western New York.” In the engraving it is dwarfed by the much larger stone mill of Thomas Emerson, built in 1835. (Internet Archive.)

Leave a Reply