Workers excavate a section of the Erie Canal through solid rock west of Lockport, New York, using hand tools, blasting powder, and horse-powered wooden cranes. This 6-mile stretch took almost four years to complete and was the last part of the canal to open. The date is June 15, 1824.
Printed on satin-finish paper with the scene title, location, and date in the lower margin. Paper size is 19 x 13 inches.